I got this email today from Cloth Paper Scissors; they are offering a FREE list of of art prompts….check it out!
You can download the entire list from Cloth Paper Scissors Online Extras gallery under Free Resources.
Mixed-Media Art Prompts
Compiled by Belinda Spiwak
1. Write a list of simple but inspiring words (ie., alive, balance, courage, enough, mindful, play, story, trust), cut the list up, and put the strips in a cup. Then write a list of colors, cut the list up, and put the strips in a second cup. Pick one paper from each cup to kick start your next project.
2. Cut a small square or a circle out of a piece of paper and use it as a viewfinder to look around the room to isolate patterns and color combinations. Draw or paint what you see.
3. Set a timer. See what you can accomplish in a set amount of time.
4. Look at art from a different culture, and then dive into your sketchbook.
5. Allow yourself to sit at your worktable for five minutes. Sometimes just getting to the table is the challenge, the rest is easy.
6. Look through photos on your computer (the caveat is not to get bogged down looking) and just pick something for inspiration.
7. Look for words in a newspaper that create a response in you. Cut them out and put them on the table. Rearrange the words into a poem collage.
8. Draw or paint with your non-preferred hand.
9. Use paper scraps to make a tiny collage.
10. Grab a sketchbook, pencils, and even a few markers, and take a visit to the old book section of your public library, or use your own collection of old books if you have them. While you flip through the pages, sketch parts of pictures, take a little from here and a little from there for future reference.
Honestly, each and every issue of Cloth Paper Scissors is filled with ideas, techniques, and prompts that will keep your muse energized….